MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Skilled

As an multi-media artist I'd like to throw in some thoughts for consideration.

In the past I supported my children by doing leather work. I had made what could loosely be described as "normal pieces" such as saddle and motorcycle bags, sheaths, belts; basically bread and butter leather work. And then there were the pieces I called "specials." Specials were things that I never would have entertained making, let alone advertising as being representational of my talent, had I not been approached to make them.

I had two variations of "specials" signed and unsigned. Work on both varieties was done to the best of my abilities, yet unsigned pieces were things I simply refused to sign. Normally falling in the "Don't ask, don't tell" leather work category. I did a few pieces, and though the work paid the bills well. I bowed out of that many years ago, finding it distasteful and the work unfulfilling.

The point I was trying to make was that my signed specials I marked under my signature as "Special" I suppose you could place a "C" or a "Custom" underneath it to designate this was a unique piece made to order, or a "one off".

As artists, we must ultimately decide just where we will go with our art; what we want to represent us while we're still living, and long after we are gone. I liked all the comments here, there is much to take into consideration on a personal level for each and every one of us.

It reminds me of a quote from the show Fringe, "Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should." The choice ultimately remains with the artist.

End of rant.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Lots of good perspectives! That's one of the reasons I enjoy what we do so much....we can each go a different direction, with different ideas, and in the end we can share those ideals, and still be great friends!

You folks are AWESOME!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 02-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Very good topic!

My thought would be if the client wanted it that way for an intended pourpose (as stated above moose hunter) then I would be all for it. If it's because of the client "thinks" it's what he/she wants then I would be reluctant.

I was given a design that looked similer to a oyster knife that was"hollowed" on one side to make the blade almost "U" shaped in cross section. The customer wanted twist damascus, and sent a piece of steel from the old home place (cast iron door hinge) to be incorperated into it, and wanted it to be handled with presentaion grade iron wood with nickle silver fittings and pins. I got the drawing in the mail with these instructions. I had made up m mind that I would not make this knife 1.) Because it was going to be a but ugly knife, 2.) It would be an expensive knife and 3.) Because it was way outside my comfort area. When I called the client I was told that he wanted this knife made for his Father who dug wild Ginsing, herbs and mushrooms. The hinge was one of the few things that was found after the old home place burned, and he wanted to make somthing "Nice" for his Dad. He even told me his Dad would probably never use it because it was "Pretty"
but he wanted to do it anyway.

Long sory short, I made a sharpened 3 bar Twist Damascus Trowel like tool with a presentation Ironwood handle with a nickle silver ferrul and pins. I also made a nice sheath for it.

I got one of the nicest letters I have ever recived from a customer after he gave the knife to his Father. He was right, he never used it, but said he always carried it to show folks what his Son had made just for him.

You just never know in this Ol world.

God Bless
Mike

Tags
blade, damascus, guard, hunting, ironwood, knife, knives, lights, scrimshaw