MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:06 PM
Skilled

Forge weld success!

Built a new burner, well, after 3 or four trips to Lowes and Home Depot. Fired it up and, holy cow! That baby will cook! I picked up the little tomahawk head I started from and old file, fluxed it and stuck it in. Much hotter than the weed burner & roaring like a jet. Pulled out the head and got a successful weld I do believe! Just a little mouse 'hawk but had a blast doing it. Now need to get some more steel and build some larger heads.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 03-11-2017, 07:55 PM
Guru

Excellent Goater.

It looks good Goater. You definitely got a nice forged weld. Good success on your first hawk. What make of a file was it? Remember files are high carbon so a differential HT back from the edge is called for so it won't be brittle is all I can add to your successful effort.

If you want to make some nice hawks that can chop wood try 4140 and forge a piece of 15N20 in between and you will have a very good chopper and thrower. Differential HT the head and the 15N20 with it's 2% nickel will give it some toughness and still be around RC58 on the edge. Or you can get the 8670 steel which is supposed to be a substitute for L6, when what it really is is improved 5160. Alpha Knife supply has 15N20 in 1/8" and it's inexpensive, USA Knifemaker has the 1/8 too. Call Precision Products of Asheville and see if they have some 4140 flat bar, they used to carry it, but try a machine shop or local steel distributor. 4140 by itself makes a good thrower, but doesn't get quite hard enough to make a good chopper, but it is tougher than 10xx steels. If you can find some, L6 makes great axe heads too. NJSB has some it comes in thick sizes though like 1/4", but they are usually out of stock (yes it is that good for forging). NJSB has 1075 as well as 1045 also don't forget 52100 either, but it is more suited to knives than axes.

Have fun experimenting.

Here is a link to an excellent source for tapered hickory tomahawk handles.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/473/1

Last edited by jimmontg; 03-11-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Skilled

Sheffield has 5160 1/4" and they show the 15N20 but @ .049" thick. I wonder if that's a misprint as that is pretty thin.

BTW, that link is great! Love that websife!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!

Last edited by WNC Goater; 03-11-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:24 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

No, the .049 is accurate. That's the size we use for damascus. It's really difficult to find genuine 15N20 more than .062 ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-11-2017, 10:31 PM
Guru

Here is AKS 1/8" 15N20
https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/sho...0-carbon-steel
And here is USA Knifemakers 15N20, 1/8"
http://usaknifemaker.com/knife-blade...ngth-note.html

Goater if 15N20 came in thicker than 1/8" I would use it as often as O1. Not kidding, if you spend some time looking at what it can do it is impressive for a so-called filler for Damascus and you can bet the farm I use it for Damascus. HT to RC60 finished easily with toughness enough to make band saw blades. The nickel would make the center of the axe shiny. I'm sure you saw that 12" dagger I made for my son, if 15N20 came that thick I would have made it from that, though I wouldn't be able to blue it. 15N20 would make great swords.

You still did a great job for a first time. Tally Ho!

Last edited by jimmontg; 03-11-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:58 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

One thing you might consider is that you are forge welding so there's no reason you can't forge weld a stack of thin 15N20 into a bar of 15N20. I wanted a large piece of 1084 once (4" wide, 1/4" thick and 20" long) and that's how I got it ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Guru

WNC awesome job man! very very cool, I had always wanted to do a tomahawk but it always got pushed aside by other projects, As far as the 15n20 I have made Damascus 3 times so I am not a expert by a long shot the first time I used .065 the second .093 and the third .130 NJ STEEL has all 3 and a couple more sizes. Did I notice a difference YES but I don't think it was due to the steel, The first attempt I started off with enough steel to make 5 knives easy...it all disappeared to the point where I had enough for 1 and JUST barely at that I had to weld a threaded rod for the handle. So following advice from a few people here on the second time I tried adjusting the burner to change the atmosphere. It worked a lill I ended up with enough for 2 large knives (started with the same amount) The third time I did it with a blown burner that I made thinkin I could control the atmosphere better and yes it deffinitly worked only lost a lil, The third one came out really good no inclusions or anything like that (OR maybe I got lucky again not a expert at this stuff) Any way my point was I had used those 3 different thickness's of 15n20 from njsteel And I don't know if what ray said was true or not (probiily is he is correct most of the time) but what I can tell you is between those 3 sizes I didn't notice any difference as far as how they welded it all felt pretty much the same. And the etch came out looking the same on all 3 so it may not be 100% genuine but I didn't see any problem with it......The new burner is fun huh? Just wait till (and IF) you get a blown burner (forced air) they are even stronger I have one forge that I hooked up 2 blown burners to a few times....man what a site.....Ray you remember that missle I am building in the back yard....now you know how I am powering it LOL
Old 03-12-2017, 07:30 PM

That's awesome! Love that. Apparently mother nature is postponing my own steel work. 12-18 inches of snow Tuesday. Scaled a blade today, but not finished yet.

rr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snake.jpg (361.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-13-2017, 06:08 AM
Guru

Hey rusty where do you live? I got 12-18in coming too.....ugh!
Old 03-13-2017, 06:16 AM
Guru

DUH forgt to check your profile I am in NY thought you may be close....I guess snow spreads itself around
Old 03-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Hall of Famer

Woke up to a car covered in snow in central Illinois too. Bummer.

Doug

Tags
2017, 5160, 52100, blade, build, burner, edge, file, files, forge, forged, forging, hawk, home, hot, knife, knife supply, knifemaker, knives, old file, sheffield, steel, supply, tomahawk, weld