MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 08-02-2004, 09:08 PM

Engraved Practice Plate for side by side....

Some few threads back there was the mention of swapping smoke prints. Ray Cover introduced the idea. I recall everyone was in favor. I was wondering ?where do we stand on that idea?

I have included a practice plate of a project that hopefully will be forth coming. It has been my tradition that when a client presents a project of such magnitude I will often create a practice plate. It takes a little longer than a drawing?but it gives the client a good understand of your capabilities. Below is a portion of a side plate that will be part of the project. I am drawn to this style of engraving. I believe that you could say a style from the early 1900's, maybe late 1800's forward. I do, as you know, other styles of engraving simply because it puts the bread on the table. I will keep you up to date on this project and how it turns out.

Maybe Ray can tell us how to get started on the smoke prints?

Jim

Old 08-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Living Legend

Jim that is very impresing I realy like your engraving and each time I see your work I learn more and I am inspired to do better in my own styles . thanks for the photo and could you give us a close up so we can study it more ... ron

Old 08-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Skilled

Pure Class...Excellent design and execution.. Way to go Jim..Best, Rich
Old 08-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Master

That is something. I really like your layout. I enjoy studying the work shown on this site and there is a lot of neat stuff on this one to study. Thanks for showing it Jim.

Joe

Old 08-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Living Legend

Jim another place I go to for old style engraving is the old paper money and bank notes the engraving on these notes are very beautiful and to think that the engraver back in the 1800 and early 1900 did all of this work by hand and with out the magification that we have today .. there are a lot of sites on old bank notes also e-bay has some if you are looking for the old style of engraving ...

Old 08-02-2004, 09:43 PM
Master

Jim,

Please do include a print of this for me. I really like you border work and layout on this.

Ray

ray@rcoverengraving.com
Old 08-02-2004, 10:34 PM

Thanks

Ron you are right on when it come to old bank notes.... Great resource.

I look at these old engravings and then try to modify them to my liking. For some reason I can't get enough of this stuff. It's, like Ron, hard to believe that most of this engraving was done with the naked eye. Some of the English stuff is mind-boggling.

I am not a good smoke printer but Ray I will give it a try?

Comments form you guys is a real ego builder and you don't know how much I appreciate it.

Thanks
Jim
Old 08-03-2004, 08:01 AM
Living Legend

Jim your work desirves all of the prase that it can get .yes I do like most of the old style engraving on the old shot guns and double rifles .. where are you getting your ideas from ? what books are you looking at ? I get Double Gun Journal and that has some great work in it .. bty.. are you a member of FEGA if not you should join and be with some of the greeatest engravers in the country on Jan . 28 to the 30 in Reno I will be there ..

Old 08-03-2004, 12:10 PM
Steel Addict

Nice looking work of a classy design but WOW, what really amazes me is that this a practice plate. You've bascially done one side of the gun. I can't imagine suppying such to a client. I don't even like doing detailed sketches.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:00 PM
Master

Jim,

You had made a comment in an earlier post to the effect that you don't plan out designs you just draw and cut on the steel. Uh, Jim, I don't know how to tell you this.............................. Ah, heck.

All joking aside, I find it interesting that you might not plan every line of a design on paper but you do plan serious work. Although, you have a very interesting way to do it.

Ray

ray@rcoverengraving.com
Old 08-03-2004, 06:44 PM
Skilled

engraving

Beautiful work!!!!! I wish the pics were closer. Keep up the great work! Dwayne

Romans 8:28 "and we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose."
Old 08-03-2004, 07:38 PM

Ron?I get all the great magazines including the Double Gun Journal, my favorite. I wish for you and Dwayne I could figure out how to get closer and still get quality. Every time I crop and enhance?. It don't work, so I do the best I can.

Scott?I only do the practice plate on the larger and more expensive projects. I have a couple of reasons I do it that way. One, It give me a good feel for the project. As you can see in the photo?it's not the whole side plate but just what I need to understand the layout. Two?some times I can actually make pulls for the practice plate and see what goes where. Third?the client seems to like it and it helps to go with a real life visual. If there is a forth?I suppose, I am establishing an archive of my work. Just the way I do it!

Ray?I have to be honest with you?I do drawings but, only for my own personal teaching reference. I have, probably like you, thousands of drawings all pasted in plain leaf folders. I have a library so extensive that Anne made me find room for it in my studio. Eighty percent of the times I start right at the source?the knife/ gun. Borders are laid out?and then all the blanks are filled in. I do very preliminary sketches to give me an idea of what's going on but most of the work is done on the metal. Just to let you know?I have a pad by the computer that I doodle on constantly. I know you do the same thing?Right.

Thanks
Jim
Old 08-03-2004, 08:04 PM
Living Legend

Jim I also do the same thing that you do I draw right on the job for me it saves time . also I will do a pratice plate for many jobs and like you I will do a tape transfer to the job ..when I cut my desigh I leave the borders for last I learned this from a mother engraver

Old 08-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Master

Jim,

Next time we are at a show together ask to see my drawing book. I am very much a draftsman. I draw everything unless the design is a very simple on a small area. When I am doing multiple metal inlays I even watercolor the different colors in, reduce the drawings to actual size and transfer from the drawings to he metal.

As absent minded as I am I need to have everything planned out in advance, especially on complex designs. It keeps me from saying........................ oops!

Ray

ray@rcoverengraving.com
Old 08-03-2004, 08:13 PM
Living Legend

Ray that is why your work is so fantastic you are one of the greats ..

Tags
knife, knives