MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 01-29-2022, 11:10 AM
Steel Addict

CuMai

I've always been impressed with the copper line in the blade and wanted to try one myself. I did this one with a .070" of 26C3 core, a .030" layer of copper on each side, with a 3/16" of 1075 on each side. After forging and shaping I got this skinner. It's still a bit rough in the ricasso area. It seems the tong hole is popular so I added a bit of paracord with mammoth ivory button.

It's forged around 1850F to stay below the melting point of copper. The copper acts as a bonding (soldering?) agent between the two layers of steel.
The billet for that knife was pretty thick with 2 layers of 3/16", a .070", and 2 layers of .030". Knowing it would have to be drawn out I seal welded all the way around, just like San Mai with SS cladding. I did the work in the forge while trying to hold temp around the 1850°F range to prevent melting the copper.

The next I did was with a thinner billet, .040" core of 26C3, .010" copper on each side, and .062" of 410 SS cladding.This I wrapped in SS foil and heated in oven at 1850°F. I figured the oven would help hold the temp more accurately than I could in the forge. Using a 4" flat die in the 16 ton press I just squeezed the foil packet. The first billet done this way I used the drawing dies to to get the billet thinner for kitchen knife, trying to .090 or less. It looked like I did a bit too much pressing and the thin copper didn't like that.

So, next billet I just pressed with 16 tons using only full flat die. This blade is the result. After squeezing I expect the core and copper might only be in the .050" thick range, I used the SGA to grind the SS so the final thickness is in the .090" range for the final blade. Still a tad thicker than I like for small kitchen knives, but they work pretty good - and the wife LOVES her some copper At .090" with a .050" core/copper thickness that only .020" on each side causing more of the 26C3 core to be exposed than I wished. Especially on this side.

nd more copper than I wished on this side:

I think my next attempt will use the drawing die, but gently so it doesn't squeeze quiet so much, but still give a wavy line to the copper.

Tags
1075, bee, billet, blade, dies, flat, forged, forging, grind, ivory, kitchen, kitchen knife, kitchen knives, knife, knives, mammoth, mammoth ivory, paracord, skinner, small, steel, thickness, thin