MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-01-2002, 03:31 PM
turkeyman8

Burr King 1x30 belt sander

Does anyone have this belt sander? Was wanting one just to sharpen knives, etc;, what do you think? Thanks!
Old 01-01-2002, 05:07 PM
Don Cowles

Choice of grits is pretty limited in 1x30, and of course, it's not a variable speed. That said, I think you still could use it to good advantage.
Old 01-01-2002, 05:09 PM
Ray Rogers

1x30

I don't have the Burr King but I do have a little Delta 1x30. Unless the Burr King is variable speed or you can somehow slow it down, I imagine it will be too fast to sharpen a knife safely. If the belt is moving too fast the steel gets too hot and can lose temper. Even the high temperature stainless steels can be affected because of the thin cross section of the edge of the blade.

Sometimes I use my variable speed 1x72 with a fresh belt set to a crawl and it works very well....
Old 01-02-2002, 11:51 AM
Steve Vanderkolff

Re: 1x30

I have the Delta 1 X 30 and it is one of the more well used machines in my shop. Not for sharpening but rather for shaping the slabs. I use anywhere from a 36 grit to a 400 grit for mine which is plenty for working with the woods for the handles.
Steve

Old 01-02-2002, 01:31 PM
turkeyman8

Re: 1x30

Thanks guys....I never actually thought about the belt speed, will have to check on that....this forum has definetely saved me $$$$$$$$$$$$. Thanks!

Tags
blade, knife, knives