MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 09-11-2004, 12:49 PM
sashcord

Burr King Grinder

Recently heard that Burr King was selling there 2"X72" again.
Has any one heard anthing?
thanks
Old 09-11-2004, 05:23 PM

I was checking out the Burr King at the Blade show.

It's appears very well made and I like the way it all self contained, even comes on it's own pedestal (Although, unlike the KMG, I don't know how easy it would be to make any changes or mods).

All-in-all it looks like a real nice machine...I should add that I did not get to see it in action
(not that I'm looking...I couldn't be happier with my KMG).

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 09-11-2004, 06:48 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, Burr King is back to making the 2X 72 grinder. I have used a burr king for 10 or 12 yrs now and think it is the smoothest running grinder made. I also have a vertical J & L that is the most versatile grinder I have seen. I got both of them from K&G. The only negative to the burr king is that it is time consuming to change back and forth between the wheel and the knifemakers attachment. The J&l however is the easiest to change out. No tools necessary. I also have a J&L horizontal grinder. Would hate to make a slipjoint without it. Hope this helps.
Bill Ruple

Old 09-12-2004, 08:55 AM
Skilled

I have had the 2x72 burr king for over a year, and like it alot.

The major drawbacks of the machine as I see are the "change over" from hollow grinding to flat grinding along with the overall cost of the machine and "add on" parts.
The major plus is the "small footprint" of the machine and the stand.

In my opinon the KMG is the best bang for the buck.
You can get a "fully loaded" KMG (with step pullyes, for differant speeds and a flat platten, contact wheel) for what a basic Burr King (non viarable speed) would cost.

Of course, there is always the fact that the Burr King was designed by Bob Loveless

Just some thoughts !!
Old 09-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Master

I bought a variable speed Burr King at the Blade show to compliment my grinder in my shop (I also have a Bader3). I was deciding on a second Bader or maybe a KMG...but the Burr King really impressed me

.......its the one called the knifemakers model and is set on a pedestal.

I can do so much with it without needing to constantly change tooling.

I chose to have a 10 inch contact wheel, and above the contact wheel is a long flat platen.

Between the contact wheel and platen is a 3 inch gap which is very useful for tight convex grinding. Plus I can use the slack belt above the platen.
(I cannot skip between wheel and flat platen on a Bader or KMG without changing arms).

The Burr King knife maker also comes with a long work rest which can easily be slid into postion or dropped out of the way by a quick turn of a allen screw.The only downside is that I have stuck some ceramic glass over the platen and the tool rest arm is a fraction to short to set up for the platen (though its fine for the wheel). I have been in contact with BK about this, and a minor adjustment to add extra length to the arm would solve it.

My Bader has almost become redundant, .....though I use it for small contact wheel work and with my KMG rotary platen...I havent had the need to change any tooling on the BurrKing as the BK and Bader compliment each other.

My BurrKing runs very smoothly and I am more than happy with it.

Last edited by Coutel; 09-12-2004 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Skilled

True~ the Burr King comes with the platten, but when you need to flatten riccasso's there is no where to it (without sanding your fingers) unless you buy the flat platten acc. which was $350. To switch between those two takes alot more time than with the KMG.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Enthusiast

beebee58
If you think the KMG switches quick you ought to see the J&L. I would bet I could change from a 8 or 10 inch contact wheel to the platten in 5 seconds. I got the J&L about 2 yrs. ago and really love it. For a guy with one grinder I can`t think of a better choice. It will do it all.
Bill

Old 09-12-2004, 03:40 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebee58
True~ the Burr King comes with the platten, but when you need to flatten riccasso's there is no where to it (without sanding your fingers) unless you buy the flat platten acc. which was $350. To switch between those two takes alot more time than with the KMG.

I do all my flattening work , including ricasso on the platen above the wheel and find it just as easy as using my Bader...in fact, I prefer using the platen on the BK than my Bader as the platen is longer.....

I havent got any additional accessories......I just hold the blade at a slight angle and keep my fingers out of the way.....

If you want just one machine, with quick and simple tool changes for smaller contact wheels etc then the BK may not be the ideal grinder.........But for large contact wheel grinding, convex /slack belt and platen grinding all rolled into one machine....the BK IMO is worth looking at.

Last edited by Coutel; 09-12-2004 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:11 AM
sashcord

Thanks guys. Now all I need is the cash.
Sashcord

Tags
blade, knife