MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 08-20-2001, 11:02 AM
viper5192

what did you do with your factory knives?

I still have quite a few, they are awful, scary beasts! I have donated some to my local (Arizona Knife Collectors Assn) club, which has a raffle on the meeting nights. Mind you they are usually the last things left on the raffle table . . . ;-) but some takes them. Some of these I can't give away, but still can't seem to force myself to throw any of these monstrocities away. I am planning on taking some to the next show I go to and putting them on my table in a box says $1 or $2 per knife take 'em away ;-)

How about you guys?
Old 08-20-2001, 12:35 PM
ansoknives

well...I don?t have much but I do have a drawer in the shop with old rejects, bayonets, crappy folders and a few fixed blades......found an old auto with buffaloscales today in that drawer.....really crap but fun to play with.
Old 08-20-2001, 12:58 PM
primos

I took 2 to work for cutting open cardboard boxes and loaning to co-workers who ask to borrow a knife. I have 2 more out in the shop which I use for "dirty" jobs.

I have several that I keep in a "special" place that have been given to me by my daughters or my wife through the years for things like Father's Day.

The rest are stashed away in drawers and cases. There is one exception. Like it or not, I keep and carry my Victorinox Super Tinker SAK. You'd be surprised to know how many custom knifemakers carry a SAK, though not all will readily admit it. For me there are too many things that pop up almost daily which require more than just a blade, from a screw that needs tightening to a toothpick. It's nice to not have to go hunt for scissors, tweezers, a screwdriver, a toothpick, etc. Even when I'm wearing a sheath knife, I still have my SAK for those things that need more than just cutting.

Old 08-20-2001, 04:03 PM
JerryO13

I give 'em away, except for a few that have fond memories attached to them. Generally, my old production knives are better than what most people carry (spyderco's, BM's and such) that even as a give away people really like them. I also carry a bunch of SAK's, have a campers model in my briefcase and a supertinker in the car and cigar model on me right now
Old 08-20-2001, 05:41 PM
Roger Gregory

I still buy new SAKs, I don't think a man can have too many. I can keep one in every desk, one in each coat....well that's the plan.

I am still disposing of my production knives, slowly. I might keep a few, like my first Sheffield Bowie, J Nowill & Sons, bought secretly so as not to horrify my mother when I was about 12 or 13....

Roger
Old 08-20-2001, 08:43 PM
Les Robertson

Paul,

This is the Custom Knife Directory, how about keeping your posts to custom knives.

That used to annoy the crap out of me at BF when someone would start talking about factory knives in the custom knife forum. Why would they talk about that there????

Lets keep the CUSTOM KNIFE DIRECTORY about CUSTOM KNIVES.

Les Robertson
Eliminating Factory Knives where ever I find them.

OK, I have a weakness for SAK's. But this is not the place to discuss factory knives.

Old 08-20-2001, 09:19 PM
viper5192

Roger! Gotcha
Old 08-21-2001, 10:18 AM
Dexter Ewing

Cease and desist!

Tags
blade, knife, knives