MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 09-03-2021, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Still Here!

Ken reminded me that it's been a while since I've posted. I'm OK. Started teaching again, and it's taking more out of me than what I thought it would. At the end of the day my behind is dragging.... and most evenings a quick bite of supper, and then into bed around 8pm.

We have to travel to Seattle late next week... U of W Doctors have ceased doing the tele-medicine appointments, and we now must go back to in person appointments. This time around I will be seeing not only the usual Pulmonologist and Rheumatologist, but since the Lupus in now effecting my kidneys..... I see a Nephrologist (kidney Doc) too. Docs both locally and in Seattle are working to get me on a new drug, that just cleared the FDA in January called Lupkynis. It's suppose to slow/halt the damage that Lupus does to kidneys. We'll see where that goes.

I do have a lot of things in the pipe. A dozen EBKs on the bench that need handles finished and sheaths made. Several Mosaic blades that are just out of the heat treat... that need finishing, and a new batch of Damascus Pens that have to be photographed and put on the site.
I'm still doing everything I always have.... just doing it a lot slower due to the health stuff!

I still check the forums every morning to see if I can help with any questions....but haven't seen many as of late. Summer is about to wain, so we all know what that means!

FORGING SEASON!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 09-03-2021, 09:55 AM
Enthusiast

Good luck and easy travels, Ed.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:18 AM
Guru

I have one kidney and it's not 100%

Ed since the FDA in 2009 designated B-6 pyridoxamine a drug because it reversed Chronic Kidney Disease the B-6 vitamin we get now is pyridoxidine and it doesn't do anything for your kidneys.

I use a substitute called P-5-P Pyridoxal-5-phosphate, co-enzyme form of B-6 I reversed my CKD down to almost normal levels and although it may or may not help your situation the P-5-P wouldn't hurt. You can get it in most vitamin and health food stores. Here is a link to an old article explaining it all. It saved me from dialysis after cancer took my right kidney.

https://www.lifeextension.com/magazi...kidney-disease
Old 09-03-2021, 01:31 PM
Hall of Famer

Glad to see you back at it, or more accurately, still at it. It may well be worth while to ask the nephrologist about the B-6 that Jim mentioned.

Doug

Old 09-03-2021, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

In general, the forums are slower than they used to be. The result is that sometimes we don't realize someone is MIA for awhile. Glad to hear that you are still vertical and ventillating, Ed.

Old 09-03-2021, 11:42 PM
Guru

Sadly most Nephrologists know nothing of the B-6 scandal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lester View Post
Glad to see you back at it, or more accurately, still at it. It may well be worth while to ask the nephrologist about the B-6 that Jim mentioned.

Doug
I've had three nephrologists and two urologists and only my cardiologist knew about how certain vitamins and supplements help reverse kidney disease. She's the one who sent me that article I linked. She most likely saved my life.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:45 PM

Howdy Ed!! Wondered how you were doing this is a pleasant post to read. Glad to hear you are able to get back to what you do! Been checking here and the other place (LOL!). Take care and keep on it!!
Old 09-12-2021, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
Ed since the FDA in 2009 designated B-6 pyridoxamine a drug because it reversed Chronic Kidney Disease the B-6 vitamin we get now is pyridoxidine and it doesn't do anything for your kidneys.

I use a substitute called P-5-P Pyridoxal-5-phosphate, co-enzyme form of B-6 I reversed my CKD down to almost normal levels and although it may or may not help your situation the P-5-P wouldn't hurt. You can get it in most vitamin and health food stores. Here is a link to an old article explaining it all. It saved me from dialysis after cancer took my right kidney.

https://www.lifeextension.com/magazi...kidney-disease
Hey Jim!

I just returned from my most recent visit with the Docs at Uof W in Seattle. I asked the Nephrologist I'm seeing there about this, and he shrugged and said that I could take if I wanted to, but that it wouldn't have any impact on the situation with my kidneys. I might just give it a go anyway. I'm now waiting for all the involved Doctors to "confer" and see what they want to do. I'm already on two of the three available drugs for this type of kidney disease, and although neither is help my kidneys, they are helping to control the Lupus, and have shown to be helping my lungs. The "hitch" is.... Nobody has ever been recorded as being on all three of the medications for Lupus Nephritis at one time....so I would have to go off one, in order to start a a new one....AND, it would be a minimum of 6 months to a year before they would know if the new drug is having any impact, while at the same time my Lupus and/or Lungs could worsen significantly. Talk about a "catch 22"! I hopefully will get word sometime this coming week on what all the Doctors at U of W have to say....and then see where we might go. What ever happened to the days of "sick" being a simple cold for flu? This stuff is getting crazy.

I'll let you know what happens!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 09-12-2021, 08:33 PM
Steel Addict

Ed: We all appreciate you keeping us updated on your situation. Something I think about you, and how lucky I am to be still as healthy as I am, either with all the aches 'n pains.

Hang in there my Friend, and remember my Prayers are with you and your family,

Ken H>
Old 09-13-2021, 07:46 AM
Enthusiast

You already know I will be praying for you brother.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:30 AM
Guru

Ed these are merely vitamins, P-5-P is the active form of B6, Milk Thistle is a source of silymarin and will protect your kidneys and liver from many toxins, I take it twice a week. Co-Q-10 is an enzyme your body makes less of as you get older, in Japan they prescribe it unlike here and it raises the survival rate of patients with congestive heart disease by 25%, a significant amount discovered in studies at UT Austin, TX and Tokyo U. Q-10 also helps all your organs heal as much as vitamin C does. So except for Milk Thistle nothing I've recommended is a "drug" as they define them. My son is a Dr. and was quite surprised at my improvement and in his Men's Clinics he uses supplements too and tests for low vitamin deficiency especially.

I'm glad you're back and hopefully you'll get better. Of course you must do what you feel is right, but like you said it cannot hurt. My change was rather quick as they tested my kidneys every three months and they greatly improved on my new supplements.

Tags
a, back, bee, blades, cancer, cold, damascus, easy, handles, heat treat, helping, japan, made, mosaic, post, sheaths, show, simple, survival, teaching, worth