MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Steel Addict

Ever Have An "AW! *&^%!" Moment?

I actually have them regularly.

Tonight was when I was roughing up my handle scales with a Dremel to give the epoxy a little to grab I put some cuts right across the handle edge of the scale. This would mean I would see the cut marks sitting nicely next to the tang....wonderful. I had glued liners to the scales prior and I didn't think to outline the knife handle on the liners.

I'm mildly chapped about this but I tend to be fairly patient with these things. Thinking about it now, I might be able to salvage the scales by sanding off the liners. I don't really have much left for nice looking handle material so I'd really like to use these scales. Balls...

Vent over.

Let's hear some of your 'moments' of genius.

Brett
Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Skilled

I have those moments constantly. Tonight for example I had about 5000 of them. I was trying out a new grind, and I needed it to stay clean and consistant for it to work. Almost every pass I went AAAIIIGGGHhh but when I turned it over it was never quite as bad as I thought. I was able to fix most of the mistakes and it's comming out good so far.

I even went so far as to snap a pic when I thought I had everything just right and just KNEW I was going to somehow mess it up in the last few passes, so I wanted to be able to remind my self that I could take it at least that far.

Now I just have to hope I don't mess it up putting in the swedge,
Old 01-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Steel Addict

Everybody has them, the thing is too learn from them!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft
Old 01-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Master

I've never had one of them buddy. Not even once! I meant to crack that blade when I quenched it in water. I meant to melt half the blade when I was visiting with my dad while forging it. I didn't like the tang on my second hidden tang knife so I snapped it off. Oh and the time that I let the tempering oven got to 550 I meant to do that.

Remember this quote from a knife maker I met. "Knife makers don't make mistakes, we make shorter blades and smaller handles" quote GG

If it were easy everyone would do it lol.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Enthusiast

heat the liner side up with a torch and pull off the liners and then back to the sander ,trust from aguy that never screws up ,it''ll work
Old 01-19-2013, 02:41 PM
Skilled

I had one just a minute ago, I suck at knife making! I think I need a different grinder, I can get mine to do what I want it to do.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Skilled

Dang, sorry Kevster, Don't you have a grizzly? The pics above were done on a Coote grinder which is very similar. I just got it assembled a couple days ago so I'm having some adjustments too. Just be patient, we all make mistakes. most of the time they can be corrected and noone will ever know.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_arthur View Post
Dang, sorry Kevster, Don't you have a grizzly? The pics above were done on a Coote grinder which is very similar. I just got it assembled a couple days ago so I'm having some adjustments too. Just be patient, we all make mistakes. most of the time they can be corrected and noone will ever know.
I just cant seem to get a saber grind to work on my grizzly, the grind on your knife looks very good, thats what i was trying to do but i couldnt get both sides to match, I'm seriously thinking about building a grinder, my neighbor is a welder and I'm going to talk to him about it when he get back from Mexico,( he's there on vacation).

Last edited by Kevster; 01-19-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:05 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal99 View Post
I've never had one of them buddy. Not even once! I meant to crack that blade when I quenched it in water. I meant to melt half the blade when I was visiting with my dad while forging it. I didn't like the tang on my second hidden tang knife so I snapped it off. Oh and the time that I let the tempering oven got to 550 I meant to do that.

Remember this quote from a knife maker I met. "Knife makers don't make mistakes, we make shorter blades and smaller handles" quote GG

If it were easy everyone would do it lol.
That's a great quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Skilled

Right now.....
Making my first leather sheath.
Everything has gone well until now.
I'm using an awl and I didn't pull enough sewing thread at the start... so came up short about 2/3 the way down the main seam.
So, I cut the stitching out and started over.
Only to come up short AGAIN.... still didn't allow enough thread.
Now I'm on my 3rd try. (fool me twice?)
Better believe I'm gonna allow enough thread this time!
Good things have come from this.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Master

How hard is it to use a sewing awl?

Old 01-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal99 View Post
How hard is it to use a sewing awl?
extremely easy
I'm planning on learning to saddle stitch but this was a good way to start.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Skilled

If I'm awake, I'm having them.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM

Every time I try to make a Bowie, it turns into the neatest little paring knife. Why do you ask?

Tags
550, back, blade, building, coote, easy, edge, fixed blade, forging, handle, handle scales, hidden, knife, knife handle, knife making, leather, leather sheath, make, making, material, quenched, saber grind, scales, sheath, tang