MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 07-10-2001, 01:52 PM
Quailfoote

Etching Damascus

Can anyone help me with a little info regarding etching Damascus to bring out the "grain" in the steel. The particular type I'm using does not have 2 diff. types of metal in it. It is simply high carbon steel. I would like to enhance the look without damage, of course. Anything you'd like to share would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-10-2001, 04:11 PM
J Loose

Hmmm...

Damascus by definition has differing steels- even the Japanese blades start out with differing steels; they are just refined ( 'folded,' ) to the point where the carbon content and the pattern are basically homogenous.

Do you mean 'Wootz,' steel? This kind of steel has a dendritic structure obtained not by laminating and folding but by the smelting process.

Usually 'Damascus,' refers to pattern welding, where at least two differing steels ( either by carbon content or other alloys- ) are fused and manipulated.

Either steel may be etched with a variety of acids - most Smiths use ferric chloride diluted with distilled water.

Vinegar will also work though it will take longer. Some coat the handle and fitting with vaseline as an acid resist.

Try the Caffrey's Workshop Forum.
Old 07-11-2001, 03:03 AM
AchimW

Etching Damascus

Many homogenous steels can be etched to bring out the crystalline structure. I tried it with 52100, 5160 and some others with interesting results. Best to date has been a knife made of a piece of cannon barrel of a german Leopard I tank. Etched for 48 hours in vinegar (strangely enough, ferric chloride didn't work on this one) it looks like a very fine, maybe 400 layers, ladder pattern damascus.

Normally i would give FeCl3 a try first. make a 25 % solution, so mix 250 grams of ferric chloride in 750 ml of water. Polish and clean steel. The surface has to be fat free. Use rubbing alcohol and clean with dishwashing detergent before etching. Don't touch the surface to be etched with your fingers. Etch for 30 seconds in FeCl3-solution. Remove and clean under warm water. Rub with finest abrasive available (i use Micromesh 6000 grit). Etch again for 30 seconds. Clean again. Repeat process until the result is to your gusto. Same process works very good on any kind of damascus, including stainless!

Achim

Tags
knife