MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Hall of Famer

Decision

Guys I am a mechanic and have always worked commission or flag time. I have the opportunity to work a salary job with great benefits. Right now I spend 70 to 75 hrs a week at work and commuting. The new job would require about 50 hours a week. I am figuring total time away from home. Money is a little less but, I could be in my shop at 4:30 in the afternoon instead of getting home at 8:45 pm. More time to make knives!
I'm just wondering about the change from getting paid for the amount of work I do to getting paid for the amount of time spent at work. After 28 years it may take some time to get used to. Has anyone made similar transition ?

Old 05-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Living Legend

When I first moved from the cooking world to the corporate world I hit a similar situation.

For me the lose of money was more than made up for by the benefits, specifically health care.

I will say that getting more time with my wife and having regular hours also made up for the lose.

Jim

Old 05-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Master

I would sit down and really think about your finances and make sure it wouldn't put you into a financial bind to make the transition but if it doesn't then I would take it. Great benefits are definitely a good thing to have. Having one medical problem occur that is covered by the new plan but may not be covered by the current plan can make up the difference in pay for a decade of work and such. Have you spoken with employees from the company to see how happy they are there?

I don't know your financial situation but think of it this way....you can always make more money, spend it, and make more but once time is spent you will never get it back. Extra time with the family (and knives ) is priceless.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Skilled

range,

It's great to have options ain't it? I'm sure you've thought about it if it applies, but if you have a retirement program where you are now...30 years pays a lot more than 28 years for most retirement programs. Also, do you have some assurance that they will not start pilling on hours and causing you to end up working more hours than you do now? I have encountered employers who will abuse a salary status employee's hours. Really ticks a guy off.

Other than that, what AUBE said about time is exactly so!

chiger
Old 05-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Weight the options carefully, and decide what is best for YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. My Mrs. worked a salary job for 15 years, and abuse of the hours is one of the reasons she left the job. Near the end it seemed that her boss thought that since she was on salary, she should be available anytime somebody sneezed.

Retirement is another issue that too few folks think about until its staring them in the face. The smart people start planning retirement as soon as they begin their working lives.....I wasn't one of those. Were it not for my military retirement, I would most certainly have a job outside the knife shop........especially now, with the way the economy and prices have shot up. I've not spoken with another maker in the past three months who is doing as well as they were a year ago.

Make your choice based on YOUR and YOUR FAMILY'S needs......we all have different circumstances, and making the correct choice for your situation is paramount.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 05-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Thank's guys . I did post 1 thing wrong its not salary, its hourly. Its a job with the city of Charlotte.
As is I pay all my insurance, no 401, no retirement plan. All out of pocket. I'm not sure if anyone here is a mechanic or familiar with how mechanics get paid.Its simple: say job A pays 4 hours. The mechanics rate is $25.00 per hour. If I do the job in 2hrs I still get paid for 4 or $100. If I take 6hrs to do the job I get paid for 4 or $100.
So with that thought in mind 2yrs ago when business was good I could work a 48 hr week and get paid for 120 hrs. Now in the last 2 years business has droped so badly at dealerships in the area, you work 60hr weeks and are lucky to get paid for 25.
I have decided to take the job. My main worries were how long it'll take to get used to not thinking the faster I do this car the faster I can get another car in and make more money. Also I haven't been home at night before 8:30 PM in 12 years. Wonder if the wife will get tired of me hanging around I'll be at the house at 4:30.LOL

Old 05-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Steel Addict

Andy, I worked flat rate for 20 yrs before going on my own(bodyshop). Wouildn't go back for any money. You just have to make and take concessions. Now after 20 yrs of being an independent, I've had enuff of the insurance company's crap and I'm tired of people thinking their dollar is worth more than mine. So I've pretty much shut down the ab shop and make knives, wheel and deal machinery, and do what I #### well please. Is it difficult? Yes! But after 40 yrs I haven't ever caught that dollar. Just enuf to live , raise a few kids and enjoy a relaxed rural lifestyle.
I've started over twice(1 devorce and a debliltating accident), so have a different outlook than most. Doesn't work for everyone.
Besides, I like to hunt turkeys during the month of May and no boss alive would let me take a whole month off. "Cept my wife(BOG)

www.BirdogForge.com
Old 05-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast

I thave been working as a mechanic for 40 years give or take a couple.the last 23 for the co. bus shhop.a few years ago I had to deal with a cancer and then again last year they took a big chunk of my left shoulder muscle and I could not have made the payments or the familly needs with out the steady pay check comeing in and my sick leave.Yes I don't make the money the hot shots at the dealers do but I had to put family needs of insurence first.i hope this helps you some but mony is not always everything and besides I have great friends in the knife world and they mean more to me then money.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Hall of Famer

George, The money at the dealerships isn't what it used to be. I have achieved Sr.Master technician with Ford. I guess that would make me one of those hot-shots LOL. The one thing it did for me was put me at the top of the pay scale for the city job starting out.I am 54 and insurance and time with my lovely wife are becoming more and more important. I have been lucky that my wife always kept a level head even when the money was great. and managed to stuff away a very nice nest egg. and saw we never got very far in dept.
I just want to enjoy the time at home and the security of the jobs benifits. Heck, I might get some knives made. After working 70 plus hrs a week a 40 hr week will be like working part time. And yes the pay is more than enough to maintain my life style. I think I'm ready to slow down and smell the roses. Thanks for your comments guys. This whole thread was kind of a think outloud ramble I needed, to know I was doing the right thing.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Master

I'm seeing things happen in the work place that my kids are going through that are real stress creating for me. They have had great job protection, great wages and accident, and accidental death insurance but with all that why should I be up tight? Were we live we have been so tied up in the lumber - pulp business. This has fallen apart. The jobs are gone or going. They have been through circumstances that without the financial protection that they had they would have been very seriously financially hurt. Without medical or accident coverage one disater can destroy your whole financial background. A big thing to figure in You will make the decision . It has to happen. Once your decision ismade., go with it all th the way. If another situation occurs because situations have changed, you know you did the right thing. I wish you the best as I do for my own. Frank

Old 05-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Skilled

Ranger,

Good on ya' mate as they say down under. You're about to be government employee. My wife works for the fed and there are real advantages. Good luck, not that you need luck with the job. I just mean good luck, I hope the dog doesn't bite you! ;~)

I think in 5 years you'll look back and wonder why you waited.

chiger,
Old 05-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Hall of Famer

I feel good about it and the wife is really happy. Her words "I can finally make a budget and you can spend more time making knives". Gotta love her!!!
Frank, the same happened here with the furniture companys out of 6 only one is left. and its not looking good in the future. I also wish you and yours well.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:58 AM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to combs6136
i worked in a steel mill and made good money..Then i went back to school and became a school teacher and took a 50 % pay cut....But, i would do it again....NOw i am retired and making 6 knives for a wedding party....Have a great day......carl

Old 05-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Steel Addict

Dont forget to live before you die
painted on a dumpster in Butler Pa.

www.BirdogForge.com
Old 05-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Guru

Hey Andy, since you'll have more time, does that mean I can get you to work on my F150 truck when I have trouble?

Seriously though - I don't have all the years in that some folks do, but I'll tell you this, I'm making less money than I could be right now - have had a few things pop up for 20-30% pay increase, but I usually don't give them a second glance. Why? Because I'm locked into a pension at 56, I have a 401K, decent health and dental insurance, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment, I know what my job is, when it is (for the most part) and that it's going to be here in 10 years. Guess I'm not much of a risk taker, but I like knowing that I'm taken care of, even if it costs me that hot-shot job in the big city.

I say go for it.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --

Tags
forge, knife, knives