MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2021, 11:28 AM
Steel Addict

widening billets with press?

Hello all, and first of all a great big THANK YOU to Ed for his help in building a forge. I'm really happy with the forge I built, and say again THANK YOU for the guidance Ed gave for that. It still amazes me that I can put a 12" billet in, and it will heat to a pretty even heat from one end to other end without any real bright or dark spots. So much better than a burner pointing straight down from top.

Now for my question: How to widen a billet? My problem is even using flat dies the billet grows MUCH longer in relation to growing in width. i.e., I've squared up a billet to 3/4"X3/4", then press it out using flatting (flattening? Which is correct?) dies, it might grow to 1" wide but no more.

Also when doing San Mai, I might use 1/8" of SS for each side with a 3/16" high carbon core. Right now all I've got is 1" wide. After setting the welds to a nice solid feel, I can take small bites with flatting dies to make it thinner. This makes the billet grow longer without all that much widening. I'd like to draw the billet wider as well as longer. I'm thinking of something like a mini-fullering die, with perhaps 2 or 3 fullering grooves that are perhaps less than 1/8" high each (to give <1/8" grooves). I'd think perhaps the top grooves alternating between the lower grooves? Does any of this make sense? OR - is there better ways? Remember I'm on a low tonnage "H" press. This image below is an attempt to show what I'm talking about. This is a side view as looking from side of press with "humps" laid out same as a fullering die.

Thanks for all your help and I'll keep the Prayers coming for your improved health. We (especially me) want (need) you around for a LONG time.

Ken H>

Tags
billet, blade, bowie, building, burner, ca, carbon, chris, damascus, dies, flat, folder, forge, forging, heat, how to, image, knife, make, press, problem, question, show, small, thin