MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:54 PM

Question Re: DK ONLY Knives

I have two new DK ONLY Bowie knives. (Model E28) 15.5" OAL 10" Bowie blade. #2 is DK ONLY Model A45 (17" OAL 12" blade). Both of these are in D2 Tool Steel and seem quite solid. They were Shipped to me from Bloomington, IN.

Does anyone else have any experience with these knives?

Last edited by Captain O; 04-27-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:09 PM

I guess I'm not worth the time.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not familiar with the brand and have no experience. Typically, this forum is populated by folks who make or have something to do with making knives. Unless someone asks a pretty specific question about a non-custom knife, it's not likely to generate many replies. That doesn't mean you were ignored, it's just not the right audience.

Now, as for D2 steel, it's pretty great stuff for knives, at least in my humble opinion. D2 is the stuff they use on the tips of bulldozer blades. It can really take a beating. Not the easiest stuff to work with, as far as blade making, and not the easiest stuff to sharpen. It has some chromium in it, so it doesn't corrode easily, but it can under some circumstances. For whatever reason, D2 hates to polish up and get really shiny. I've seen some get it that way, but only with some work. It always seems like it has an orange peel look to the surface. I've only made one blade out of D2, and it was a simple letter opener that I keep on my desk at work. They were trying to defrost a refrigerator/freezer in the department where I worked at that time, and the freezer section was a solid block of ice. I chipped most of it out with that letter opener and it never took on a scratch. I have a couple of purchased blades around here that are D2 and I used one for deer hunting. As expected, it held up well.

The type and quality of steel in a blade makes a huge difference in the performance. I can't tell you how many ads I've seen for blades where I look at the steel and think "Man, I wouldn't want that knife if it was free!" Every so often you see one listed as being "surgical steel". To a knifemaker, that translates as "garbage". But certain steels, like D2, 5160, 1080, etc. produce a knife that will withstand anything you can throw at it.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:04 PM

How often do you sharpen your knives? I've had a lot of trouble with steel knives. This one time, when I was slicing an avocado, I accidentally slammed the knife against the pit. As a result, I lost part of the blade. Also, my steel knives got blunt, and I had to sharpen them every two months. I got tired of it and decided to look for a better material. I found the knives from tang on https://kniferesource.com/full-tang-knife-vs-half-tang/. I've been using them for half a year now, and I haven't had any problems. Even when I cut an avocado pit (on purpose this time), this knife cut it in half.

Last edited by Porard; 03-12-2021 at 05:46 AM.

Tags
blade, block, bowie, brand, custom, custom knife, d2 tool steel, hunting, knife, knifemaker, knives, made, make, making, polish, scratch, simple, steel, throw, tips, tool, tool steel