MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast

I need a workbench

I have been working on this rickety folding worktable for a while, Dam near cut a finger off when my jig saw started vibrating the table around. So I need a workbench, a real heavy wood one I can mount powertools on. Thing is, I am not much of a woodworker. Does anyone know of a source for plans that even I can build. Or a place that will sell me one for less than my powertools?

TIA
-Todd

Old 03-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Skilled

I made mine out of 2x4's and a double 3/4 inch plywood top (covered the plywood with masonite, that way I could replace it). For the legs I glued and screwed two 2x4's to make a 4x4, and attached stringers to make a frame. It can be as cheap or expensive as you want. I've add drawers and under cabinet storage for myself. I think mine is 7 ft long and 30 inches wide and as tall as my kitchen counter top.
Now, if your looking for a jewelers bench.... there are many plans on the "net" to help you out, some with a"sweep table" for collecting gold or silver filings.

Hope this helps,
BB
Old 03-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Living Legend

My benches are very similar to BB's except I used 2x4"s side by side like decking. They are not very pretty but they are doing a great job of holding 400-500 lbs pieces of machinery. I finished building my shop while my house was still being built so there was a free supply of 2x4's even though some of them had concrete on them. I did not have any intentions of entering my shop into any Better homes and Gardens "purdy shop contests".
Old 03-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Some of my benches aren't all that sturdy either, even some of the ones that hold small power tools like my band saw. I took some simple hardware store angle brackets and used them to attach the table to the wall. That does a pretty good job of faking a much stouter table....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Hall of Famer

When I built my shed last fall I put in a work bench with a 2x12 plank top that's tied into the wall. It shouldn't go anywhere.

If you are looking for plans, look at some of the woodworking sites--those guys usually like to build their own benches, and some of the work they do requires a sturdy platform.

For the money of building a quality bench, Costco stores (similar to Sam's Club) has a sturdy one for around $200. The base is all steel tubing that is powder coated. I think the work deck is high density fiber board, but that could be replaced. It looks like a tank. Depending on the availability of cheap/free tubing and your welding skills, you could probably build one similar.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I'll throw in my input on the benches I have in my shop...
Two of them are 6' X 30" wide X 2" thick maple "Butcher block" benchtops that I purchased at a second hand building materials outfit. The rest of the benches are 2 X 6 framed, with two layers of 3/4" particle board, with another 1/4" of tempered hardboard on top of the that. I took a router and rounded off the outside edges once the hardboard was attached. I used about 10lbs of drywall screws, with the ones that attach the hardboard being countersunk so their flush with the surface. I have about 40' of benches in the finish shop....and still would like to have more!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 03-13-2008, 07:01 AM

I salvaged some solid wood doors (no windows) from a demolition of part of an old military base building. Tall, wide, and thick complete with red brass kickplates, hinges, and pulls. Got 3 for the asking (wanted the brass plates at the time) but only kept one. It will move with me when I move. SOLID........wish I'd had the vision at the time to keep the other two. Oak 4X4 shipping timbers for legs and framed out for drawers and cabint doors (which never got installed). I could hold a River Dance on the one I have!
Try a salvage yard.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 03-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Skilled

http://www.mapleblock.com/sitemap.phtml

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so
that you may not be dependent on anybody.
1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
Old 03-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Steel Addict

I've got a bunch of benches made from double 2x4 frames with 3/4 plywood tops. Simple and easy to make and are super strong.

Three of mine have long 2x4's on the back sticking up and makes a frame to put pegboard on behind the bench and I've got a small lathe on one of them with a light also mounted to the backboard.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:35 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike koller

Mike,
these guys are aboit 30 min from me, I thought about recommending them, but you beat me to it!
Del

Delbert Ealy
www.ealyknives.com
custom damascus in high carbon tool steels
www.mokume-jewelry.com
gold, silver, and palladium mokume rings for under $1000
Old 03-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Master

My workbench is an old high school workbench , hard maple butcher block type the size of Ed's. It's very sturdy and good for metal work, woodwork, butchering deer etc!
Old 03-17-2008, 10:53 AM
Steel Addict

Costco has a big, heavy, solid maple top workbench near me. That's what I use.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Steel Addict

Workbench

Todd:

I was in the same boat. No bench and all thumbs. But I found these plans and ended up with a nice strong workbench. This is the part and tool list. I used 3/4 inch MDF instead of OSB as it is stronger and has a better surface. I managed to make this and kept all of my thumbs.

Whiskers

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/w...below20xl.html

Tools Used:
? Circular Saw
? Cordless Drill/Driver
? Hammer, Tape Measure
? 4' Level or Chalk Line
? Jig Saw (or Hand Saw)
? Power Miter Saw (optional) Materials Used:
? Lumber, 2x4x8', (Qty: 5)
? OSB, About ? Sheet
? Deck Screws, 3", 1-5/8"

Last edited by Whiskers; 03-17-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:43 PM

I've got 5 workbenches in my shop. They're all pretty much the same, or similar, to these two benches:

This one's at Lowe's:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...202&lpage=none

At Sam's Club:
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=369241

Inexpensive..."reasonably" simple to put together...and they get the job done.

Dennis

Old 03-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to combs6136
I live 5 miles from a large university and twice a year they hold surplus auctions... I can get heavy duty benches for 2 to 4 dollars....And i have......Too many benches.....But i use them all......Also i got some 4x8 ft. sheets of 1/2 in. plexiglass just for hauling them off.. I love a good auction.....but, my wife doesn't......check with your local school....or unversity......carl