MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 05-30-2021, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
OFF TOPIC: A way to save you some money!

This is off topic, and NOT about knives, but I'm healing up from the kidney biopsy, and was online, browsing Amazon's "Deal of the Day" section..... and something dawned on me....

I have a couple of browser extensions... "Honey" and "Camelizer", which help you check prices when you land on product pages while browsing. "Honey" is the one I find most useful for Amazon, because it brings a little side popup/button that I can hit to see the price trends of the item I'm looking at.
Today I noticed that nearly every single item that I reviewed, which were all on Amazon's "Deals of the Day", had gone up in price right before the went "on sale", to the tune of the "Sale price" being anywhere from $1 to $5 MORE then the item was list for a couple days emailer!

So what does that mean? To me it means we're getting ripped off most of the time, when buying from Amazon's "Deals of the Day" section.

My advice is to first try those browser extensions (Honey and/or Camelizer to show you the pricing over a period of time) and...if you see an item you want that's in Amazon's "Deal of the Day" section.... save it to one of your lists, and I'd bet dollar to doughnuts that within a week it will be cheaper than when it was listed in the "Deals of the Day" section.
I've found that the "Honey" browser extension works with most sales sites. It's saved me a significant amount of money not only on Amazon, but as bit of a tech nerd, it's also come in handy on Newegg and other computer/parts sites, as well as most other sites that offer items for sale.

It's even helped me track prices on several Knife supply sites..... In fact I have used these tools to keep track of knife supplies I commonly purchase, and have learned to stay away from a couple of those sites.... because they are doing what can only be called ripping people off!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 05-31-2021 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-30-2021, 05:34 PM
Steel Addict

I agree with you Ed on the "deals of the day".

I'm not familiar with the Honey, but have been using the camelcamelcamel.com for a long time which is your Camelizer. It shows the history of the item's price, and will notify you if the price meets your request. I've got a button installed on Chrome for checking Amazon prices.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:37 PM
Master

Good subject for discussion. I'll look at those extensions.

Amazon's price spread needs to be watched as presuming they are always good is a set-up for disappointment. I track a variety of items and see that they go up down in a handful of hours or more at 30% spreads. Some of the prices are plain high that I can go into a local store and buy it for less.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:47 AM

I'm off of Amazon! They suspended my account after it was hacked for the tune of $785. I caught it on the day it happened and called them (a job in itself!!), they shut my account down and started an investigation. In the meantime I contacted my CC company and canceled card and made them aware of the hack. Amazon's investigation told me I had to pay the $785 or they wouldn't reopen my account! I'm done with them!
Old 05-31-2021, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Wow! That in itself is reason to leave them behind!

That reminds me... a friend pointed this out to me.....

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021...ith-neighbors/

It appears that IF you own/use any device with Alexa on it/the phone app, it will now automatically share YOUR internet bandwidth! You have to manually go in and turn it off to prevent this. Stealing is stealing, and I can't think of another word that describes such an action.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 06-03-2021, 08:44 PM
Master

I might be wrong, but if myself or one of the family members keeps looking over the same item, they seem to slowly raise the price. I think to make someone figure they should buy before it gets too expensive. Sometimes it helps to clear the browsing history and cookies? I am not the biggest fan of some of these companies.

Tags
a, advice, bee, buy, ca, card, knives, made, make, sale, store