MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 06-26-2001, 12:17 PM
Roger Gregory

Which Film?

Okay, time to get into this contest!

I haven't been taking many photographs for a few years now, not sure why. I just carry a little Olympus mju-II compact on holiday and use Kodak Gold or Agfa print film.

Time to get the Nikons (EM, FM and FG20) out of the case, load up some film and see what I can do. I have a tripod, cable release, a couple of speedlights......and some knives.

So, what film to use? I used to use Kodak Vericolor for the detail but I don't think it's made anymore. I could try Kodachrome I suppose but I probably last shot a roll of that 15 years ago...any suggestions?

I can use my brother's Nikon Coolscan IVED film scanner, so see how I do reducing those 35 Mb scans to 60Kb...

Roger
Old 06-26-2001, 04:23 PM
PhilL0496

Roger, I would say to go with the Kodachrome I don't know of a better film, and with that film scanner you're all set. There was a recent thread by Colinz about taking his first shots you may want to check out. If you have any specific questions I don't know a better place to ask than right here.
Old 06-27-2001, 07:26 AM
Terrill Hoffman

Roger, you made your own choice. Use the kodachrome if you can scan the slides. It has the best color and sharpness of any. Fugi makes a close copy but it isn't quite there, but you can process it yourself, which you can't do with the kodachrome. If you want to use a negative film, Kodak has replaced the Vericolor with their Portra Series of films. The 160 VC (vidid color) isn't too bad. Pull out those Nikons and have fun.
Old 07-01-2001, 03:51 AM
Roger Gregory

Thank you gentlemen. Somehow I knew Kodachrome would be the recommendation. As soon as I have finished off my stock of Kodak Gold (last roll this weekend) and Agfa HDC plus I will start on some Kodachrome.

I was surprised to find that a roll of process paid Kodachrome is only about 10% more expensive than a roll of Agfa HDC+ and processing.

Now I just need to learn something about this still-life routine...

Roger

Tags
knives