MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 06-30-2001, 10:02 AM
Roger Gregory

Contest rules?

I can't find the rules for the contest, all I can remember is something about a 60kb file size. Or was that the only rule?

I have a few images which might possibly be good enough.

Roger
Old 06-30-2001, 11:33 AM
stevekorn

Roger,
The rules have been relaxed so that being in the contest is fun.We would like to keep the images in the 60KB range give or take. 70 won't be a disaster, but in the event of a tie the smaller image will win.
Right click on some of the images in this weeks contest then click on properties and you will get an idea of the sizes.
Hope you join us every week it can be an educational experience. In my case it's usually humbling!
Old 06-30-2001, 08:48 PM
ghostdog

Hey Steve,
You are doing good. the best photo's i ever saw were by amateurs. But the most consistent good photos were by pro's.
When a guy is taking a picture of a knife he made, he has a lot of heart and soul in that blade and he sees it differently than a guy hired to take a photo of it. Or conversly, the guy who buys that blade, he has rosey colored glasses on as well, he loves that knife and it will show in his photo if he has some basic photography understanding.
Tell ya what, I think you are starting to relax more and enjoy yourself. That will show up in your images. You will win a few more of these.
Take care

ghostdog
Old 06-30-2001, 11:56 PM
CKDadmin

Ghost,

That's an excellent point and well worth remembering.

For all those who are, or will become pro's ...
Before you shoot a knife (or any subject), remember to back off for a minute and get your mind into the state of being where you are looking at the points of the knife (or subject) that you like the very most. View it like a painter, who while they didn't create the tree, will be creating the scene of which the tree is the central part of. Then, it's the main element of a greater whole. The greater whole being the final result.

I'm not sure if this explanation means anything to most, as I'm pretty weak when it comes to words, but pro's are the greatest at risk when they shoot their images as a matter of production. Only a photographer with the perspective of an artist will produce a photograph with the perspective of art!

One of the biggest problems I have with web designers is that they become production oriented after a while. I mean, anyone can do a good job on a website if they only do one a month or something. However, doing them for a living and trying to maintain a certain style level with each requires the same skill as a great photo-artist. You have to back off and let your mind's creative areas take hold of the project before you setup your first shot.

Does that make any sense?

Alex

Tags
blade, knife