MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 04-16-2021, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I'm working my way back!

Decided it's time to get back on KN and get going. For those who don't know, I've been facing and chasing health issues for more than a decade.

Finally, after some time at the University of Washington Medical center in Seattle, I have been diagnosed with Lupus, which has attacked my lungs, causing interstitial lung disease. I'm still making knives, just sometimes slower than I used to, and some days the body just won't allow it.

The Covid pandemic put a big whammy on me, and kept me pretty much a hermit until I was able to be vaccinated. My Docs said if I were to get covid, I'd likely not survive with how messed up my lungs are.

Fast forward to now, and although there are days I struggle. I have decided to open back up to teaching classes, and have already filled the dates through early October. If anybody is interested, you can find the particulars here..... Classes

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 04-16-2021, 05:52 PM
Guru

Ed, I had Covid with 35% lung capacity emphysema. It is survivable even with a lung disease. I never went to the hospital because of the fact that I have everything at home that the hospital has. Two O2 concentrators and I had to run both at 4L min each so 8 liters a minute. It helps if your doctor is your son. He prescribed me the Azithromycin, zinc and a drug similar to HCQ, an anti-fungal called Terbinafine.

The hyper O2 helped me get through the worst part along with a breathing treatment every 4 hours with Albuterol and Ipratropium Bromide. Now I own my own O2 concentrator and rented another through Lincare. While ill I couldn't stay above 90% on 4 L min, but if you run your machine above 4.5 they tend to overheat and shut down. I never saw any point to going to the hospital as I won't give permission to be intubated.

I hope you can get better, do those breathing exercises with the little tool you inhale while holding a ball up. It really makes a difference after awhile.
May God bless you and get well as best you can.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:15 PM
Master

Great Ed!
The whole covid scenario was a big change for many. Lots of struggles at many levels yet maintaining health is the top priority. Glad you have classes going and that '21 heads us in a positive direction.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator

Glad to see you back on TKN! Was beginning to wonder if you didn't like us anymore!

Tags
at home, back, ball, bee, beginning, fac, home, knives, making, teaching, tool