View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I've been a Bladesmith/Knifemaker for 30+ years. At one time or another I have used just about every 2x72" grinder available, whether in my shop, or in others.

Here are the things that I value in a grinder, in no particular order....
- Heavy duty construction- far too many "modern" grinders forget about this, and instead, are made of materials that are far too light in weight/strength. This makes them prone to vibration.
-PRECISION- This means everything..... Wheel alignment, slop in moving parts, and the most important.... accurate and easy belt tracking.
-Belt tensioning: I simply DO NOT like a grinder that uses anything other than a typical "spring" for belt tension. Gas Spring Cylinders are not a good thing when it comes to belt tensioning.
-Drive method" Direct Drive! Over a year ago I converted my KMG grinder to direct drive, and it's proven to be the best mod I've ever done to a grinder. All three of the machines I own/use are direct drive.
-VFD/Variable speed: There is nothing that lends more versatility then variable speed...period.
Lastly, adaptability..... it must be easy to change attachments, and be able to do so quickly and easily.

The problem with all the "johnny come lately" grinders is that they rely on gimmicks and "bells and whistles". A grinder is just that....a machine to grind, and do it in the smoothest, most adjustable manner possible.

Right now, the the style, build quality, versatility, and overall best quality belongs to the KMG. If those who build/offer grinders would pay attention to the materials and overall build quality of this machine, they'd be far ahead.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."