Thread: 80CrV2....?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2020, 10:05 PM

80CrV2....?

Anybody out there forge blades with this steel. Admittedly I'm not up on my metallurgy, having taking a hiatus. The reports speak of 80CrV2 as "1080+."

They say it's basically 1080 with some Chromium and Vanadium. I'm quite familiar with 1080 (which, when I purchased it as 1080 from Admiral Steel, came marked 1075). That's not so much a criticism as it is an observation. But that 1080 moved well under the hammer, and hardened up sufficiently when quenched in oil, and made a good knife overall.

Once I read (I don't remember where) that 1080--1085 was close to the steel that was used to make blades in the 1800's. Perhaps Jim Bowie's legendary knife was make with it, although it is claimed that a meteorite was the secret of its mythical prowess. Jury's out on that one. Tai used to make Damascus with meteorite material, which is largely iron and nickel, if I'm not mistaken (about the metal's composition, not about Tai making Damascus from it.) He even gave me a piece, bless him. But I digress....

Any thoughts on or experiences with or tips regarding this steel?