View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Great piece of advice BillyO! That is one of those "gems" of information!

About the "wiggle" room.... I have it throughout my press, and it was built in not only by necessity, but by design.
My dies "slide" onto the die holder/plates, and all of them have a lot of that "wiggle" room intentionally.... even the flat dies. Now that being said, my flat dies are 8"X6", and that's only because I have the tonnage on Orange Crush that allows those large flat dies. As usual, there is a drawback.....there is a lot more movement from end to end or side to side if what I'm pressing isn't fairly well flat and well centered inline with the force of the ram.
I have to be very careful to ensure I am always pressing with the hot steel aligned with the cylinder's ram. Off one way or another, and force the dies to tilt too much, and something is gona break. Usually when I screw up and it happens, it's the angle iron guides on the dies themselves, and not the press/frame.

You folks are great!! I am going to copy all the information we've put in this thread and use in.... hopefully in a book I am planning. Keep it coming!!!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."