Thread: Bowie Project
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 04:03 PM

This has been a fun research project!

The design of the original 1830s bowies says a lot about how they were intended to be used. Martial arts was not so advanced back in the early 19th century. Kali and Tantojitsu had yet to make their way to the continent in any notable way. Knife fighting was rather primitive so it would seem.

Unlike most modern bowies (which often have a down-turned handle), most bowies of the era have a handle slightly angled upward from the spine. 'Bowie #1' is a great example. This knife was also rather positively traced to James Black, a man believed by most to have made knives for Bowie himself.

I extrapolate that this handle angle facilitated the preferred fighting technique, which I gather was a combination of grabbing your opponent by the mutton-chops (or perhaps the shirt/coat) with one hand while delivering upward jabs into the abdomen with your bowie in a fist grip.
The curved clip-point would have been very effective of getting between ribs and spreading them out of the way to get at the soft stuff underneath.
Thus, the more reach you could achieve through a combination of a long arm holding your opponent at bay and a long knife to poke holes in him, was a simple and winning recipe. It's no wonder bowies got as long as they did.

When I consider the way they boxed back in the day, this makes sense to me. It is, however, only my opinion.

I'm going to have fun with this! Pictures soon.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."