MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 08-10-2004, 02:39 AM
Registered

Question Mikov Kit Instructions

08/09/04

Greetings everyone,

I just purchased a Mikov kit (left handed, cocobolo scales, fileworked backspring, etc.), and this will be my first attempt at "building" a knife. The Milkov appears to be very simple in its design, but I'm certain there are very specific methods for completing the various steps required to put the knife together correctly. I saw something about an Instruction Guide for the Mikov kit on one of the knife auction sites, and I did find one Guide in PDF format, but it was more focused on how to cut, shape and finish custom scales than it was on the actual assembly of the kit. I have not been able to find another Guide that does walk through the assembly process step by step, and that is what I need.

If anyone knows where I can find a Mikov kit Assembly guide online, please provide the URL or whatever is needed to locate it. As things are now, I don't know what type of tools to use for the various steps, and having been a carpenter and cabinet maker for over 25 years, I know how important it is to use the right tools anytime you want to complete a project correctly. I would appreciate any and all assistance, suggestions, etc. - thank you, and have a great week!

Daniel D.
Santa Monica, CA
Old 08-10-2004, 07:19 AM

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forums. Nope, never had any experience or even heard of someone with one of these kits. You are the trailblazer!

There is tons of info in this and the Newbies forum about pinning bolsters, glue and whatnot. Get specific and ask when you are ready.

Good luck. Keep us posted!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 08-10-2004, 09:38 AM

Somebody posted some nice pics of a couple of Mikovs awhile back. Maybe a year or so ago...Bill Vinning maybe (now goes by the name of Cigar Man)? Nothing comes up in a search though.

They are pretty cool looking autos that look simple enough to make. Ever since those pics got posted I've been meaning to order a kit and try it out (They are mostly sold pre-made...but they do have available kit versions). I would think one of the dealers (I think there are only two) would have some sort of instructions. I think the best known of the two is mikovknives.com

Let us know how it turns out...and Photos Please!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 08-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Skilled

Good memory Dennis. The photos of the Mikovs can be found here:
http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=18837

The Mikovs are pretty easy to assemble. I have not done one in quite a while. The older kits were kind of flaky and the fit was not too good. I hear the new ones are much better. The first thing I would do is dry fit the entire knife to make sure the lock up is working. I had a few of the older kits that I actually tossed because they were so bad. nThe locking notch in the blade actually extended beyond the bolsters.

Put everything together except the spring. Hold it together gently with a few clamps. Once it is all together, slide the spring in from the back and let it snap in under the pin. Now try the lockup and see how it fires. If minor adjustments are to be made, now's the time. Once you are satisfied with the fit and lockup, time to embellish and then assemble. The most difficult part for me was peining the pins. I am terrible at it. My best advice is to take your time.

If I can answer any specific questions, feel free to drop me a line.

Bill

Old 08-10-2004, 09:02 PM
Registered

Smile Mikov Kit Instructions

08/10/04

Hola Coop, Dennis, Bill (AKA CigarMan),

I can't recall ever receiving such an enthusiastic "Welcome" - thank you all. Of course I checked out the photos first - if I end up with a Mikov looking half as sharp as either of the two Bill displayed, I'll be a very happy first time knife "builder".

I'm really starting out from ground zero here - I've been fascinated with "autos" for quite literally as long as I can remember, but until discovering the knife auctions and forums recently, I'd handled precisely ONE "picklock" ? in my entire life.

I found an Italian switchblade with dark horn, possibly bone scales, at the base of a drinking fountain while tooling around the South Dakota State Fair in Huron, S.D. in 1962 - I was 12 years old. From my recent reading and browsing through the various auctions and forums, I believe it may have been a Beltrame, for no reason other than it was "straight and true" in the way it opened, remained so while open, and even when closed (blade sat deep and dead center between liners), and you could not feel the pull and snap of its opening without falling in love.

I protected, loved, and HID that knife every day of my life for the next 8 months, until someone apparently caught my "hiding" routine. After carefully checking out my evironment late one school day afternoon, I tucked "my" knife away in the combination canvas bag, metal candy box, plastic bag, and washcloth used for this daily ritual - first the knife was carefully wrapped tight in the terry washcloth, then slipped into the plastic bag, rolled up tight again in the bag, then slid into the nearly foot long metal tube (some kind of candy came in it originally), and finally, the tube was dropped into a canvas bag with a drawstring (believe it held marbles as its previous gig). I then stuffed the entire business up the drain pipe at the rear corner of our attached garage. If my father had ever seen that knife I would not have been able to sit down for a month of Sundays - he would have beaten my butt back to the ice age. When I made my way back to the pipe in the early AM (always the very last task performed prior to walking to school), my heart ended up in my throat - it was gone! I almost ripped the drain pipe off the garage trying to convince myself it must just be a little further up the pipe than usual - it HAD to be there - noone could have seen me - it's GOT to be here! It wasn't of course - someone must have seen me, becaue it was definitely gone, and that was absolutely the last time I can recall collapsing in a puddle of childish grief and crying like a baby.

Until I received delivery of a Mel Pardue clone about 3 weeks ago, I had not held another "auto" or "switchblade" since 1963 (Fair came the first week every September, the knife disappeared in mid-April, 63). I can state without fear of exaggeration I've spent 300 hours browsing the auctions and forums in the last 4 weeks, and have purchesed 28 autos during this time, NOT including the Mikov kit. I've resold 7. I've bought everything from Kalashinkov 74s and Boker Magnums to $2.00 Triumphs, and a couple of dozen clones as well (Dalton, Pardue, Microtech, etc.), trying to make up for lost time, and get a feel for what's out there. I don't have the money for the real MoD, Microtech, Beltrame, or Dalton originals, but I may be able to sell, trade, and yes, build my way there eventually

Back to the kit - I don't even know where you would find the type of clamps this would require, or what other basic tools will be needed - with the possible exception of assorted very small C-clamps, the clamps used in cabinet making are much too big and cumbersome for this type of project. I do still own a grinder (if I can find it), but the majority of my quality tools were sold to keep body and soul together after being hit by a car in 1984. Not to make more of this than is necessary, I've been in a wheelchair since 87, and have hoped to find something I could do with my hands (like the cabinet work) that does NOT require a strong back and two good legs - I think this might be it. I've got patience galore and have never been afraid of hard work - I may have some "confidence" issues in the beginning, but it appears there's no shortage of places to turn for advice and encourgement.

As far as buying a Mikov kit - User ID "tanto09" at bladeauction.com is David, the owner of mikovknives.com, and he lives right there in the Czech Republic where Mikov is located. HIs website is:

http://www.mikovknives.com/index.html

I sent David an e-mail and he was extremely helpful - eventually I simply deposited the amount we agreed upon directly in his account at my local Wells Fargo branch, and one week later to the day, the kit arrived! There is a complete price list for every conceivable combination of blade and scale, and virtually every combination can be purchased in kit form if you want to do it yourself. The basic kit without scales is $35.00 left or right handed, cocobolo scales are $10.00 a pair, and I believe this includes the S&H. David is very easy to communicate with and his site has photos of absolutely every combination including a number of custom knives completed by others. Check it out - I found the Mikov knife itself, and the whole kit thing completely irresistable.

First things first - complete one Mikov kit - assume I'm as ignorant as I actually am, and please tell me what basic tools I should have BEFORE I start putting this knife together. BTW, I believe the signature I've used at numerous forums over the last 5 years will continue to serve me in this venue as well (it was originally based on my then recent foray into the world of PCs - had just bought my first system in November 98 - not knowing a mouse from a hard drive) - it is:

"Explain.... as you would to a child."

I honestly didn't intend to write a novel when I started responding to the three of you, but apparently I haven't been getting out enough lately.... thank you all again - for the advice, the links, and particularly for the warm "welcome". See you in the funny papers!

Daniel D.
Santa Monica, CA

Last edited by daniel7c7d; 08-10-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:13 PM

Daniel-

As you've already seen, there's no shortage of good folks around here ready to help.

May I suggest that you help yourself first by taking some time to read through these forums...there is a HUGE amount of info to be found. This kitknife forum is a good place for you...also the "Newbies" forum, where you'll find good info...especially on the basics. Check out the "stickies" at the top of that forum...TONS of great info for guys just starting out.

Any tools you'll need are easily found...most at your local hardware or home improvement store. Anything else can be found online.

Let us know how you're progressing...Don't be shy about asking questions, but by all means take a few hours and DO a little homework first. When you're ready just dive in...
BTW-In case you didn't notice it yet, there are NO stupid questions here....(we've all been there)

Before you know, you'll be replacing any lost knives with far better knives of your own!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 08-11-2004, 12:32 AM
Registered

Hello Dennis,

I'm going to keep this one brief (been at this screen since 11 AM ) - thank you for the tip on reading through SPECIFIC forums. I guess my search criteria was too narrow, while casting my "net" too wide (search all forums) - I entered searches based on variations of "Mikov kit" and "Mikov kit instructions", etc., but after several hours of reading through the returns on three different Knife related Message Boards and Forum groups, I wasn't getting relevant results. By the time I spotted the "Knife kit" forum, and then failed once more to get any useful returns for the same search criteria, it never occurred to me to simply start reading through the forum at random, and I decided to post the query myself. Tomorrow's another day - I'll have some "new juice", and will start fresh doing exactly as you suggested - will let you know how I did towards the end of the day! Thank you again.

Daniel D.
Santa Moinica, CA

Old 08-11-2004, 07:13 AM

David,

Great story of your lost Beltrane. Sad to hear of the loss, though. Boy, when you jump in the water, you do it with a cannonball!! 28 knives in three weeks??!!

Glad you're around. You'll find your answers and create some more questions soon.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 08-11-2004, 10:07 AM
Registered

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
David,

Great story of your lost Beltrane. Sad to hear of the loss, though. Boy, when you jump in the water, you do it with a cannonball!! 28 knives in three weeks??!!

Glad you're around. You'll find your answers and create some more questions soon.

Coop
08/11/04

Good Morning Coop,

The way the "28 knives" came about - the first two were Mel Pardue clones, and I got the pair (one black, one silver) for $32. The knives arrived, and I could not believe the quality - tight, and I mean tight, no give or wobble in either direction when open, and talk about "snap", if you didn't "get a grip" when the button was pushed, these knives would definitely fly out of your hand, 440 stainless and very nicely finished, the black in a satin lacquer (I think), and I believe the silver is bead blasted; well, I was so surprised and tickled, I began writing long "inquiries" to several of the dealers/sellers on BladeAuction.com, asking about the other clones. Which ones were made here, or in Germany or Italy, as opposed to China, and since several of the custom knife makers' models seemed to have been cloned by a large number of knife makers, which specific clones seemed to have real quality, etc.

Well, I ended up with detailed descriptions and explanations, a number of extensive price lists, and figures for individual models like the Kalashinkov 74 and the Boker Magnums, full size and "Mini" - long repies with facts, figures, and comparisons came in from "Stu11", "PJB", "honeit", "Zaback" and even "LnDdirect" on eBay. The prices were so reasonable - some as little as $8.50 - "Stu11" had a "blowout" auction on something like 50 of the "Triumphs" at $2.00 per unit (have you seen one of these? - it will blow your mind for $2 bucks) - well, I went a little nuts, and before I knew it, I had a "God Father" clone, a "Scarab" clone, this clone and that clone, a "Chicago Spike", 2 different Dalton Cupid clones, a Dalton "Border Patrol" clone, and on and on. However, even with 28 knives, including 3 Kalshnikov 74s (3 different auctions opened at $19 for the black partial-serrated blade w/Olive handle, and I ended up winning all three at $20 each), one full size and one Mini Boker Magnum, and I still had not spent as much as you pay for ONE original of any of the high-end models.

The thing about it was this - the prices were so reasonable, and the quality on most of what I bought turned out to be so consistently high, I knew I could sell several to friends at VERY REASONABLE prices (and still make a couple of dollars per knife), and not bury myself too deep money wise. And this has proven to be the case - I've sold 7 of the knives to friends already, and one of the Kalashnikov 74s to my UPS delivery guy - have re-cooped almost half my money, and still have 20 knives left (at least 3 more are spoken for, but waiting for the "next pay check"), and I'm thinking very seriously of trying to develop an ongoing "out of the trunk" type small local business as a way of supplementing my meager fixed income. And if I can develop some skills along the way, and maybe even expand into "custom" work somewhere down the line, so much the better. That is, if I can ever stop going on and on and on in this forum - and actually start getting some "work" done - lol! Anyway, that's the tale of my recent immersion in the world of automatic knives and how I obtained my "instant collection" of 28 knives - and aren't you sorry you ever mentioned it?

All I can say is I'm having the time of my life, everybody I know is as fascinated as I am with the quality of the knives given the reasonable prices, and every day I discover another forum, another auction, dealer, or seller, another three or four "enthusiasts" eager to share and advise, and I had NO earthly idea just how incredibly "deep" the following (absolutely HUGE numbers of people) is for knives in general, and automatics in particular. I had some idea of custom knife making, but nothing compared to the reality of how many unbelievably talented designer/makers there are actually out there in this country alone.

I think a very big part of my getting "instantly hooked" has to do with the realization of just how many interesting people are involved in this "community". You remember I mentioned how my Pops would have beat me like a drum if he'd ever found me with that switchblade - well, as a kid, my fascination was totally derived from the knife itself , not because it was "forbidden", but DESPITE that fact - and at that time, in that era, "switchblades" were considered the exclusive territory of a culture of "very bad people", and now, today, the people I'm meeting who are involved with, and enthusiastic about, automatic knives, are EXACTLY the OPPOSITE of "VERY BAD PEOPLE" - so far in fact, all the folks I've met have been decent hard working individuals from every walk of life, generous of spirit, interested and interesting, and eager to share and advise - how can it get any better?

Thanks for your interest and feedback - I'll be back here at the Knife Kit Forum this afternoon to read and see what I can pick up on "needed tools" and so forth for putting together the Mikov. Take care...

Daniel D.
Santa Monica, CA

Last edited by daniel7c7d; 08-11-2004 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:36 PM

Daniel-

You are enthusiastic! Don't ever lose that.

Just a quick comment about all your cloned autos. I appreciate how excited you might be to have found all those cheap knives. But you might want to go easy on that talk around here. These are after all Custom Knife Forums.

Not that we're not all aware of the market being flooded by cheap copies (all too aware...counterfitting is clobbering the knife biz). The guys around here are all very proud of their handiwork and not likely to be too enthused to hear about all the knock-offs and clones you're buying up.
You think Mel Pardue would want to hear about the cheap, $16 clones of his knives?

Just a word to the wise...

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

PS. I'll caution you, if you opt to get into a lengthy response, this thread could quickly take a turn for the worse. Looking forward to hearing about how you fare with the making of your Mikov!

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 08-11-2004 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:24 PM
Registered

Red face But isn't "imitation the sincerest form of flattery"?

08/11/04

Hello Dennis,

I'm not nearly as "happy" with my purchases as I was an hour ago - you burst my bubble Dennis, but I guess I have to thank you for straightening me out - when I believed "Mel" got a buck or two of my $32, I thought the situation was ideal - it's obvious now, I was being naive. It looks like I'm going to have to rethink my "mid-range" and "long-term" planning and goals - are ANY of the clones "legitimate"? Never mind - forget I asked!

:confused: I did not have a clue - when I saw the original designer's name used right out front, along with the repeated use of the term "clone", I automatically assumed there was some form of "agreement" with the designer in place (please don't remind me of what I do when I "assume" something - trust me, I know) - you're telling me these companies just straight up copy/steal the designs, and the orginal designer/maker gets no part of the sales? I acknowledge making the mistake of "assuming" some sort of collaboration was involved - again, the very "up front" use of the original designer's name, the term "clone" itself - it simply never crossed my mind for a second that anything that "BLATANT" was not the result of a business agreement.

It's just so obvious the market for knives priced at $200, $300, $400, on up into the thousands - well the market numbers are quite simply very limited in terms of people who can afford to spend that kind of money on custom knives, certainly in any type of "quantity", as in "collectors". It just seemed to make sense there would be a legitimate secondary market of "production" copies in place to provide a much less expensive version for the larger less "well-heeled" market - like with the department stores and fashion designers - there is the designer original for tens of thousands of dollars you buy off the "runway" in Paris or New York, and then one season later, Hazel Housewife can buy the Robinson's version for $198.99, and "Henri" gets $7.48 on every dress Robinson's sells.

It seems impossible to fathom that this has never been attempted or accomplished with the art and craft of Custom Knife Design/Making! The "Collector" who buys the $400 Microtech will ALWAYS buy the $400 knife, the same with the fan of "Dalton" or any other designer, and again with the very high-end manufacturers (Microtech "addicts") - the "Customer" who CANNOT afford the $400 Microtech, although he may "aspire", in all likelihood will NEVER buy the $400 knife (and even if he does buy at some far distant furure time, should he wait the majority of his life to own his first decent auto?) - but he WILL buy a #######d "production" clone for $35.00 to $60.00. TO THE POINT - FROM MY PERSPECTIVE, I would absolutely be willing to PAY $49.99 or even $59.99 for the #######D clone versus $19.99 or $29.99 for the un#######d knock-off.

Well, at least the Mikov, Kalashnikovs, and Boker Magnums are legit, as are a few of the others with no "designer name" attached. You would think some savvy knife manufacturer would try to develop a secondary market like the one I described - it would be good for everybody - the designer/maker, the manufacturer, and all those potential buyers of modest means. The custom knife designer is not going to lose any high-end collectors to the secondary market production knives, but he's certainly going to see substantial financial returns for his "points" from the thousands, perhaps tens, or even hundreds, of thousands of reasonably priced "production clones" of his original designs.

Thank you again for the heads up, Dennis - and I apologize to anyone who may have been offended or upset by any of my statements about "clones" - the sentiments espoused were made in ignorance of the facts involved in the issue of custom knife design "clones". I'm learning.... slowly, but definitely!

Daniel D.
Santa Monica, CA

Last edited by daniel7c7d; 08-11-2004 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:36 PM

Dan,
Here is a saga about knock offs.
I have two balisongs designs that I designed a few years back.
The company MASTERS CUTLERY knocked them off and PUT MY NAME ON THEM!
Then they just knocked off with my keychain knife that Smith and Wesson has on the market.
There are many other knockoffs out there of designs I have done also.
I have received NOTHING from the knock off artists.

There is a company out there right now that is stealing the NAME of a company that I am partner in with Ryan Wilson.
Our Companies name is COMBAT ELITE.
The rip off company is naming one of there knives ELITE COMBAT.
This kind of crap goes on everyday in the Knife industry.
It is sickening to see folks who cannot come up with good ideas on there own.
Regards
Darrel Ralph
Old 08-11-2004, 08:30 PM

Daniel-

You just heard one of the most prolific knife designers in the world tell it like it is...

Most fine designers, whether knives, clothes, or otherwise, don't ever want their name associated with mediocre or crap quality. The few who have tried have watched their years of hard work take a nose dive.

Using your fashion designer analogy, in the '70's, one of the most important, highly regarded fashion designers in the world was Pierre Cardin. Then he went and #######d out his name to cheap factories, and the once great name of Pierre Cardin has been in the mud ever since.

BTW- For what it's worth, for all the money you spent on those knockoffs, you could now own a very nice custom!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 08-11-2004 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:37 PM
Registered

08/11/04

Hello Darrel,

I'm very familiar with your designs - the Combat Elite is one of the "originals" I aspire to earn/own through my efforts in this new-found opportunity (for me). Did you read the post from Dennis that prompted my "diatribe"/response? I hope I made my recently enlightened attitude completely clear - I simply did not know what the truth of the situation was when I first ventured onto this Forum. I should no doubt know better by now (I'm 55), but I still tend to give everyone the benefit of the doubt until I'm given reason to think otherwise, so I naively assumed I was buying "#######d" clones - in the belief a piece of my purchase price was going to the designer.

Is there no way to beat the "knock-off" artists at their own game by working with a reputable production knife company to produce #######d clones? As I said earlier, I would not hesitate to pay two or three times as much for a #######d "copy" if I knew the designer was getting a fair piece of the profit, and I can't help but believe most real enthusiasts would do the same. Do you know if such an arrangement has ever been made, and if so, how it worked out for the parties involved? Have you yourself ever considered or tried to setup such an arrangement - or is the whole idea of a "less expensive" production copy of your original designs distasteful to you? As mentioned previously, I just "discovered" this world of autos and custom knives less than a month ago, so I have no history or background at all to draw from - trying to grasp the various "positions" or attitudes, recognizing and understanding areas of long-standing contention and extreme sensitivity is compeltely beyond me right now, and I definitely stuck my foot in my mouth without hav ing the faintest glimmer of an idea I was doing so.

Bottom line - you're work is a remarkable balance of form and function, and I would love to own any one of your designs - whatever mistakes I might have made prior to now, I intend to be aware of my actions in future, and to do my best to avoid giving comfort or profit to the "cloners" and "knock off " artists. At the same time, would I be totally out of line if I tried to encourage you to consider licensing one or two of your older designs to a quality manufacturer? Am I still being naive - or is there some very basic specific reason why none of the clones are #######d, and the field is left wide open to the lazy, shiftless, and unimaginative knock-off artists?

Darrell, thank you again for your input, and if I've failed to grasp one or more relevant aspects of this issue, don't hesitate to tug my coat-tail....

Daniel D.
Santa Monica, CA

Tags
blade, building, forge, knife, knife making, knives, make, project, switchblade