MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 07-20-2005, 08:46 AM
Hall of Famer

Desk or Counter Display Sheath

I've been working on this idea for a long time. There's nothing new here I'm sure, but this is my take on it. The principle of it is, that not everyone that owns, or collects knives, wears sheaths. I realize that a lot do, but not everyone. My wife, for example, doesn't wear a sheath at work or around the house, hunting being the exception. A lot of businessmen don't wear knives at the office, but may like to display them on their desk, so that they'd have easy access to them for showing, or using. At the house, Carrie uses a little "Scagel inspired" knife that I made for her, but is always leaving it here and there, it doesn't have a place to rest. The sheath in the photos takes care of those issues. The sheath is finished on both sides, so that there's not a belt loop or clip on one side. This, to me, really makes it attractive, to be able to slide it over to someone to look at, and they can rotate it and see the entire sheath. The inlay design on this sheath is something my wife wanted ("no rattlesnake skins in my kitchen she said!"). However, the sheath could also be made like the usual sheaths, with tooled or carved patterns, or left just plain leather. On this particular model, the sheath is permantly attached to the base by using brass pins, and epoxy. However, it would be just as easy to make it so that the sheath lifted off of the base, so that the knife could be used, say in another room, then returned to it's base. The knife slides in and out of the sheath very easily (no wet-formed fit necessary because of the angle of the sheath to the base).
I am currently working on several models of this idea, using other materials for the base materials, including steel and rock, plus the wood (Mesquite, of course) you see in the pictures. I am learning the art of sheathmaking currently, and will be offering this idea along with regular belt and boot styles of sheaths.
I'd sure like to hear your comments and suggestions about my "RHrocker Desk Sheath", good and/or bad. You'll have to excuse the photos, I'll take better ones later on.
Thanks for looking

[IMG]http://www.fototime.com/FD593D5769DD481/standard.jpg[/IMG

Hensarling Custom Knives

Last edited by rhrocker; 07-20-2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:47 AM
Skilled

That turned out nice!

Hey, this wasn't a surprise to me because I saw it in my shop when Robert wasn't even half finished. It turned out really well. You guys should see that fabric inlay. Pictures don't do it justice. Of course, if Robert isn't a wizard at wood work now, he never will be. That stand is a knock out too. I think you've got a winner here, Robert.

Paul
Old 07-20-2005, 03:11 PM
Steel Addict

Pretty cool, what if you made it with a wooden slat sort of thing so you could do it with sheaths with belt loops too? I have been trying to come up with some sort of rack to hang on the wall to display all of the sheaths I have made. Right now they are in a shoebox.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast

Robert great idea & presentation.

Around the house I reckon it should be removable from stand, as you said to carry from room to room.

At an office or display have it fixed so no one can just "borrow it" espicially with that style of knife.

Mitch
Old 07-20-2005, 08:53 PM

Robert, that's not only a nifty idea, but also executed beautifully. You've got it all there my friend -- the knife, the sheath the display, the inspiration and originality. Well done sir

Mike

Tags
knife, knives